What is the Sports Premium?
The Government is providing funding of £150 million per annum for academic years 2013 / 2014 and 2014 /2015 to provide new, ‘substantial primary school sport funding’. This funding is being jointly provided by the Department for Education, Department for Health and Culture, Media and Sport, and will see money going directly to primary schools to spend on improving the quality of sport and PE for all their children.
The sport funding will be “ring-fenced” so can only be spent on sport and PE provision in schools.
The aims of the funding is to ensure children have opportunities to:
- Lead healthy lifestyles
- Enjoy Physical Education and sport in schools
- Experience high quality Physical Education and sport
- Compete against their peers
- Achieve sporting excellence
Purpose of funding
Schools will have to spend the sport funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but they will have the freedom to choose how they do this.
Possible uses for the funding include:
- Hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work alongside primary teachers when teaching PE
- New additional Change4Life sport clubs
- Paying for professional development opportunities in PE/sport
- Providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE/sport
- Running sport competitions, or increasing participation in the school games
- Buying quality assured professional development modules or materials for PE/sport
- Providing places for pupils on after school sport clubs and holiday clubs
Each school will receive £8,000 plus an extra £5 per pupil each year for the next two years. We plan to use the money to:
- Purchase services from South Tyneside Sports Partnership and Boldon School, to include specialist sports coaches working with teachers to deliver high quality PE, swimming and sports activities. This will give pupils access to a wide range of sporting activities, opportunity to take part in competitions and join in sporting festivals, as appropriate.
- Provide a series of training events for all teaching staff.
- Continue our outstanding range of extra curricular sporting opportunities.
To find out about how we spend our sports funding Click Here