• Banner 16
  • Banner 14
  • Banner 7

Information Report

East Boldon Infant School

SEN Information Report September 2015-16


All South Tyneside Local Authority (LA) maintained schools have a similar approach to meeting the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and are supported by the LA to ensure that all pupils, regardless of their specific needs, make the best possible progress in school.


All schools are supported to be as inclusive as possible, with the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) being met in a mainstream setting wherever possible.


The broad areas of SEND needs are:

  • Communication and Interaction
  • Cognition and Learning
  • Social, Emotional and Mental Health Issues
  • Sensory and/or Physical


At East Boldon Infant School we accept that Parents and Carers need to feel confident that the school has systems in place which make it possible for us to offer appropriate provision to meet the needs of every child within our care. Parents will be listened to, involved in decisions and respected. When children have additional needs and advice from outside agencies is needed, parents will want to be fully informed and involved; and need to trust the school to respond to any need as quickly as possible.


The LA Local Offer


The Children and Families Bill  was enacted in September 2014. From this date, Local Authorities (LA) and schools are required to publish and keep under review information about services they expect to be available for the children and young people with Special Educational Needs (SEN) aged 0-25. This is the ‘Local Offer’.


The intention of the Local Offer is to improve choice and transparency for families. It will also be an important resource for parents in understanding the range of services and provision in the local area. Further details can be seen at:



The School SEN Information Report


This utilises the LA Local Offer to meet the needs of SEN Pupils as determined by the school policy and the provision that the school is able to provide. Schools refer to this as ‘The Special Educational Needs Information Report’.



Please read the following questions for more information about the provision of SEND at East Boldon Infant School.

Who are the best people to talk to in this school about my child’s difficulties with learning/Special Educational Needs or Disability?


The Class Teacher

This would be the first point of contact, if you have any questions about your child’s difficulties. The class teacher is responsible for:

  • Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be targeted work or additional support) and letting the Special Educational Needs/Disabilities

Co-ordinator (SENCO) know as necessary

  • Writing Individual Education Plans (IEP’s) for children identified as having an additional need and sharing and reviewing these with parents at least once each term and planning for the next term.
  • Ensuring that the school’s policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with any SEND.


The SENCO – Miss Holt

The SENCO is responsible for:

  • Developing and reviewing the SEN Policy for the school.
  • Co-ordinating all the support in school for children with Special Educational Needs or Disabilities (SEND)
  • Liaising with all external agencies who come into school to help support your child’s learning, e.g Speech and Language, Occupational Therapy, Educational Psychology.
  • Updating the school’s SEN register (a system for ensuring that all records of your child’s progress and needs are kept).
  • Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school, so that they can help support children with additional needs in the best possible way.
  • Ensuring parents are involved in supporting their child’s learning and kept informed about the support their child is getting and reviewing how they are doing.
  • Monitors and evaluates the SEN provision and reports to the Governing Body.


The Head Teacher – Mrs Gasston

The Head Teacher Mrs Gasston is responsible for:

  • The overall responsibility for co-ordinating Special Educational Needs/Disabilities.
  • Ensuring that all those who teach a pupil with a statement of special educational needs are aware of the nature of the statement.
  • The Head Teacher must ensure that the Governing Body is kept up-to-date about issues relating to SEND.


The Governing Body

The Governing Body is responsible for:

  • Making sure that the necessary support is given for any child with SEND who attends the school.

The SEND Governor (Mr Grice) has a specific oversight of the school’s provision for pupils with SEND.

If you would like further information then please do not hesitate to contact the school directly on 0191 536 7292.


What are the different types of support available for children with SEND in our school?


  1. 1.     Class Teacher input via excellent targeted classroom teaching (Quality First Teaching).

For your child this would mean:

  • That the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
  • That all teaching is built upon what your child already knows, can do and understand.
  • Different ways of teaching are put in place so that your child is fully involved in learning in the class. This may involve things like using more practical learning.
  • Specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENCO) are in place to support your child to learn.
  • Your child’s class teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that your child has a gap or gaps in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.
  • An IEP (Individual Education Plan) may be produced for your child with specific targets related to their needs if gaps in their understanding/slow progress have been identified. This will be discussed with parents if an IEP is decided as the best step for your child.


Specific group work


Intervention which may be:

  • Run in the classroom or outside.
  • Run by a teacher or a teaching assistant (TA)


  1. 2.     Specialist groups run by outside agencies e.g Speech and Language

SEN Code of Practice 2014: SEN Support


This means that they have been identified by the SENCO/Class Teacher as needing some extra specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from:


Local Authority central service such as Speech and Language or the Sensory Service (for children with a hearing or visual need)


Outside agencies such as the Educational Psychology service (EPS)


What could happen?


You may be asked to give permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional e.g Speech and Language Therapist/Educational Psychologist. This will help the school and yourself to understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to support them in school.


The specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations as to the ways your child is given support.


  1. 3.     Specified Individual Support


This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are severe, complex and lifelong.


This is usually provided via a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). This means your child will have been identified by the professionals as needing a high level of individual or small group teaching.


This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and Intervention Groups (Including All Children documentation from the LA)


Your child will also need specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from:


Local Authority services such as the Sensory Service (for students with a hearing or visual need)


Outside Agencies such as the Speech and Language therapy (SALT) service.


For your child this would mean:

  • The school can request that Local Authority Services carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process which sets out the amount of support that will be provided for your child.
  • After the request has been made to the ‘Panel of Professionals’ (with a lot of information about your child, including some from you), they will decide whether they think your child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided), seem complex enough to need a statutory assessment. If this is the case they will ask you and all the professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child’s needs. If they do not think your child needs this, they will ask the school to continue with the current support.
  • After the reports have been sent in, the ‘Panel of Professionals’ will decide if your child’s needs are severe, complex and lifelong. If this is the case they will write a Statement of Special Educational Needs Health Care Plan (EHCP). If this is not the case, they will ask the school to continue with the current level of support and also set up a meeting in school to ensure a plan is in place to ensure your child makes as much progress as possible.
  • The Statement or EHCP will outline the number of hour of individual/small group support your child will receive from the LA and how the support should be used and what strategies must be put in place. It will also have long and short term goals for your child.
  • The additional adult may be used to support your child with whole class learning, run individual programmes or run small groups including your child.


How can I let the school know I am concerned about my child’s progress in school?

If you have concerns about your child’s progress you should speak to your child’s class teacher initially.

  • If you continue to be concerned that your child is not making progress, you may speak to the Special Needs/Disability Coordinator (SENCO) or Head Teacher.
  • The school SEND Governor can also be contacted for support.


How will the school let me know if they have any concerns about my child’s learning in school?

If your child is identified as not making progress, the school will set up a meeting to discuss this with you in more detail and to:

  • Listen to any concerns you may have
  • Plan any additional support your child may need
  • Discuss with you any referrals to outside professionals to support your child’s learning.


How is extra support allocated to children and how do they progress in their learning?

The school budget, received from South Tyneside LA, includes money for supporting children with SEND.

  • The Head Teacher decides on the deployment of resources for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities in consultation with the school governors, on the basis of needs in the school
  • The Head Teacher and the SENCO discuss all the information they have about SEND in the school, including:

(i)              The children getting support already

(ii)            The children needing extra support

(iii)          The children who have been identified as not making as much progress as it would be expected and decide what resources/training and support is needed.

(iv)          The child’s view will be sought informally for review meetings; this may not always be possible with very young children/children with delayed development.

  • School identifies the needs of their pupils as part of the assessment and tracking process. The support, provision and resources needed are monitored and reviewed regularly with changes made as needed.



Who are the other people providing services to children with SEND in school?

School Provision

  • Teachers, Teaching Assistants and Support Assistants
  • After School Clubs/Coaches

Local Authority Provision delivered in school

  • Educational Psychology Service
  • Sensory Service for children with visual or hearing needs
  • SALT (Speech and Language Therapy)

Health Provision delivered in school

  • School Nurse
  • Occupational Therapy


How are the teachers in school helped to work with children with SEND and what training do they have?

The SENCO’s job is to support the class teacher in planning for children with SEND.

  • The school provides training and support to enable all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children, including those with SEND. This includes whole school training on SEND issues such as Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and Speech and Language difficulties.
  • Individual teachers and support staff attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children in their class.

How will we measure the progress of your child in school?

Your child’s progress is continually monitored by his/her class teacher.

  • His/her progress is reviewed formally every term in reading, writing and numeracy.
  • At the end of each key stage (i.e at the end of year 2) all children are required to be formally assessed using Standard Assessment Tests (SATS). This is something the government requires all schools to do.
  • Children may have an IEP which will be reviewed and a future plan made.
  • The progress of children with a statement of SEND/EHCP is formally reviewed at an annual review, with all adults involved with the child’s education.
  • The SENCO will also check that your child is making good progress within any individual work and in any group work that they take part in.
  • A child centred approach is encouraged when appropriate. We ask children’s opinions about how they have achieved IEP targets as well as their intervention group work. For SEN reviews, the children complete an ‘All About Me’ booklet to help them play a part in the discussion process.

What support do we have for you as a parent of a child with SEND?

The class teacher is regularly available to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns you may have and to share information about what is working well at home and school so similar strategies can be used.

  • The SENCO is available to meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns/worries you may have.
  • All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you with the person involved directly, or where this is not possible, in a report.
  • Personal progress targets/IEP’s may be reviewed with your involvement.
  • Homework will be adjusted as needed to your child’s individual needs.
  • A home/school contact book may be used to support communication with you, when this has been agreed to be useful for you and your child.

How is East Boldon Infant School accessible to children with SEND?

  • The school is fully compliant with DDA requirements.
  • The school has a disabled toilet
  • We ensure, wherever possible, that equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their needs.
  • Extra curricular activities are accessible to all children including those with SEND.
  • School trips are accessible to all children. Where appropriate a separate risk assessment may be written to take into account a child’s specific needs. It will also list any specific 1:1 support or additional staff.

What support is there for my child’s overall well being?

  • East Boldon Infant School is fully inclusive therefore all children with SEND will be included in discussions/decision making where appropriate.
  • We have monitors for playtime, playground pals and cloakroom monitors. This is a fair process, choosing from children who want to take part and rotating half termly/termly to ensure every child is given the opportunity who would like to.
  • Our School Council members are nominated by the children in each individual class.



  • We hold a medical register for each child requiring long term medication e.g inhalers/epipens. A care plan accompanies each child with their medical requirements which is completed via the School Nurse.
  • All staff have appropriate training, specific to the medical needs of the children in our school.

How will we support your child when they are leaving East Boldon Infant School? OR moving on to another class?

We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEND and take steps to ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible.

If your child is moving to another school:

  • We will contact the school’s SENCO and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that needs to be made for your child.
  • We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.
  • Where required additional transition visits are arranged for individuals or groups where appropriate.

If your child joins us from another school:

  • We will contact the school’s SENCO (if we do not hear immediately from the school themselves) to retrieve information about your child and any specific needs/arrangements they may need.
  • If necessary, arrange a meeting with the school’s SENCO to discuss ant special provision needed/staff training needed.

When moving classes in school:

  • Information will be passed on to the new class teacher and in most cases, a planning meeting with take place with the new teacher. IEP’s will be shared with the new teacher.

In Year 2

  • The SENCO will discuss the specific needs of your child with the SENCO from the junior school.
  • Parents may be invited to meet new class teacher and/or SENCO at a transition meeting.
  • Where possible your child will visit the junior school on several occasions and staff from the junior school will visit your child in this school.